Friday, May 27, 2011

Veggies Make You Strong


I had to post a vegetarian meal in honor of me visiting my vegetarian sister. I am a big fan of steak and chicken strips and sausage, but as I get older and realize that although meat has its benefits, there are other food out there that are better for your health. So, for today I'll pretend that I could actually give up meat and become a vegetarian (I don't see this sticking permanently).

Spinach Omelet
a handful of spinach (I like to tear mine so that it is easier to eat)
1 mushroom
tbsp of plain cream cheese (I never use reduced fat or low fat of any product, the fat is usually just taken out and replaced with something else)
2 eggs
tbsp olive oil
a sprinkle of Tony's or crushed red pepper for a little kick

Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a pan and then add the eggs. Wait until the eggs start to boil, and then start separating the egg from the pan. After the eggs are no longer liquidy add spinach, mushrooms and cream cheese. Close the omelet (from a whole circle to a half circle). Wait until it the underside browns a little then flip it over. This is the hardest part, and often takes some practice. I like to use a spatula like the ones you would use to stir brownie batter. It makes it a little easier. The omelet is finished after the other side is cooked (shouldn't take more than a minute or two). Goes great with wheat toast! Also you can change any of the toppings to make it custom, but I'm sure you already knew that.




No comments:

Post a Comment