Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

I failed again to get a picture because I was too busy trying to balance everything on the stove. and EZ walked in the door right when dinner was ready. I've never made tortillas before, and I thought these turned out great. The ingredients are simple, you just have to carefully watch the tortillas cook and take them off at the right time. These don't safe well, so better eat em up while they're fresh!

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
Pinch of Salt
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead with hands until a dough forms. Pinch off 1-2 inch segments and roll into circles with a rolling pin (EZ's mom had this neat tool that worked better than a rolling pin; no idea what it was called). Cook like pancakes, waiting for each side to bubble and black spots to appear. A little burning isn't bad, but be careful not to smoke up the kitchen! I managed not to scorch any so I was pleased with myself :). We had ours with taco meat (granny's recipe) and stir fried veggies (mushrooms, green and red peppers). However the best way (my favorite I should say) is to just drizzle them with honey and eat it like a sopapilla! My mom loves to eat them plain with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment