Friday, May 31, 2013

Watermelon, Berries, and Whipped Cream

I was inspired by this fabulous watermelon cake on Pinterest to make whipped cream. I was too lazy to decorate a watermelon all fancy so I decided to go for a dipping method instead! It turned out great! I'm trying to stay away from dairy most days, but I do eat cheese made from raw milk and occasionally use cream. Cream is ok in moderation and tends not to be inflammatory because it is mainly fat. The inflammation caused by dairy is from the protein casein and the sugar lactose. So in my book cream is ok on special occasions or splashed into your coffee in the morning. Just don't go overboard! Coconut milk from the can can also be used to make whipped cream. My only issue is the BPA that lines cans. The coconut milk from the carton did not work for me, but I did read on another blog that it was possible to whip carton coconut milk (I do not think the author tested her claims!). Onto the good stuff.

How to make whipped cream:

  1. Pour the desired amount of cream into a blender. The small 8oz carton serves 2 hungry hippos like my husband and me. (If you're still hooked on sugar you can add a dash of the sweetener of your choice, but I do not recommend it for optimal health) You can also use a food processor, kitchen aid or immersion blender. I use the paddle attachment on my Ninja blender. 
  2. Blend on a low setting. The liquid will all of the sudden puff up and look like whipped cream. 
  3. Blend another 30 seconds to thicken. Do not over blend! This will cause the cream to be too buttery. It should not take more than 2 minutes to thicken. 
  4. Pour the cream into a bowl and top with berries and sliced almonds. You can eat it like this with a spoon or dip watermelon in it. The sugar in the fruit will make it taste sweet! You can use any variation of fruits.  
Health Notes: Berries are the healthiest fruit in my opinion because they are full of antioxidants are not packed with sugar. Bananas and oranges are loaded with sugar and starch so if you're trying to trim up stay away from those. If you're my husband, EZ, feel free to load up on the starchy sugars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment