Sunday, June 9, 2013

Portobello Pizza



I am a pizza addict. That was the hardest thing for me to give up when getting away from gluten. I love every kind of pizza especially take out on the weekends. There is something fun about ordering a pizza and waiting for it to be delivered. Dominoes makes a gluten free crust now, but there's a long list of other ingredients in pizza that don't agree with my belly. Processed cheese, msg in the sauce, nitrates & extra saturated fat in the pepperonis, BPA from the cans that the veggies came out of...just to name a few.  I can't live my whole life without pizza so we have tried a few different recipes. We started with cauliflower pizza crust back when we were eating dairy and then spinach pizza crust and we've had my sisters coconut flour pizza crust. All are great tasting but use a cup of cheese in the crust alone! Add the cheese topping and that's a big gut bomb! I'm not knocking the recipes, but they do no sit well with my tummy. Let me step off my soap box and give you this yummy healthy-er recipe.
Ingredients:
Marinara (homemade or a brand without additives. Our Walmart carries one that has safe ingredients but I think it is discontinued because I found it on that strange aisle with random foods.)
Your favorite toppings; for us these were
olives, spinach, bell peppers, sausage, bacon, and jalepeƱos 
4 portobello mushrooms


I purchased a cast iron skillet at a garage sale and if you do not have one, you should get one! I love it. In a skillet cook your toppings. I started by browning the meat then added the veggies to cook them down. When your veggies are cooked fill the portobello mushrooms with marinara. Be generous. Add your toppings to the mushrooms and put the mushrooms in the cast iron skillet (oven safe). If you do not have one put them on a cookie sheet or in a baking dish. Bake for 15 min at 350*F. 1 mushroom serves one person so you can customize toppings! E being the hungryman he is could've eaten 2 mushrooms. You can serve these alone or with a side salad. 

Nutrition: We do not eat gluten in our house because it is an inflammatory food that causes allergies and digestive problems. Since stopping gluten, my sinuses have completely ceased. If I have a bit of gluten (say cake and a friend's wedding) it does not end well! I end up with stomach cramps. Notice I did not use cheese! Give these a try without cheese. I thought I'd miss it, but I didn't even notice. Tomatoes and peppers are nightshades so if you have an autoimmune disorder you may want to look for an alternative sauce. This would be an easy meal to make vegetarian by changing the toppings! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment