Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Roasted Okra

I love fried okra! But my days of gluten eating are long gone. I decided to try just plain okra in the oven and it turned out amazing! E said it is his favorite side dish. Its funny because people will look at you funny when you say you eat okra that hasn't been pickled or fried. Apparently my parents' generation ate some nasty okra back in the day.

*I used a whole orange bell pepper, and soy sauce in this picture.

Here is the yummy recipe.
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
Fresh or frozen okra cut into circles
1 tbs butter or coconut oil
2 tsp Garlic Salt
Optional* 1 tbs Gluten free soy sauce or aminos

Directions:
Grease a dark cookie sheet, not the insulated kind with half of butter. Cut the okra into discs and spread out on the cookie sheet so all okra is touching the sheet. Drizzle the remaining butter over the okra and sprinkle with garlic salt. If you want to add soy sauce it gives it a great taste! You may want to cut back on the garlic salt if you use soy sauce. I make it both ways depending on my mood. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes mixing around halfway through. 1 bag of frozen okra makes about 3 servings.

Health notes: Okra is a yummy way to get your Vitamin C, K, A and folate. It also has a decent amount of fiber to help you digest the rest of your meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment