Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Paleo Chicken Strips

I have been trying to avoid the Paleo label because I don't want people to think certain meals are only for people who follow a Paleo diet! The meals I post are what I considered to be healthy for everyone. Not to mention they are quite tasty! The recipe I adapted this from calls for almond meal as the batter so they are gluten, grain, and dairy free!! They go great with a side of spicy mayo.


Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup almond meal or 1/2 cup almonds (do not waste your money buying this! You can make it easily!)
1 egg
2 tsp favorite seasoning (I used my chipotle seasoning. Salt and pepper work great! Garlic salt is another one of my fav's)
2lbs of chicken strips (I buy these in 0.7lb packs and I use 3. You can buy breasts and slice them up yourself if you fancy.)
2 tbs coconut oil for frying


Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet on the stove. I put it on medium-high. While this is heating grind up your almonds into a meal, a fine powder. Pour the meal into 1 bowl and add in your seasonings of choice. In a separate bowl crack the egg and stir it to mix the white and yolk. When your oil is hot start dredging your chicken. Dip the chicken strip into the egg first then the almond meal and toss it into the pan. Keep going until your pan is full. Cook on one side for about 6 minutes. Leave it alone during these 6 minutes so that the batter can set. After 6 minutes, or when the almond meal has darkened flip the chicken to the other side. I use tongs. Cook on this side for 6 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Remove this batch and keep warm. Repeat all steps until you have cooked all of your chicken. Using my largest pan, I can do this in 2 batches. This makes enough for 4-6 people. We love leftovers around here! I served mine with baked okra, sweet potato fries, and avocado.

Health Notes: Almonds again! Remember not to eat almonds excessively, but other than that this meal is uber healthy in Paleo terms! No gluten, grains, or dairy. Chicken is a great lean protein, but make sure to check your source. I have gotten away from buying frozen chicken because I'm skeptical about what process manufacturers go through to frost the chicken.

1 comment:

  1. I made these last night, and they were delicious. since i'm not eating eggs, I used olive oil for the dredging, and it was perfect. I mixed the seasonings in with the almond flour, so I didn't dirty 2 bowls for the dredging. they were so good! had them with sweet potato fries and broccoli.

    I might just come here for dinner ideas! instead of my standard protein, starch, veggie I've been doing lately!

    mr man loved them too! going to use them on quinoa and spinach with avo today!

    ReplyDelete