Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October is my Favorite

I've decided to make October my fitness challenge month. I'm trying to do my version of a Whole30 combined with a 21 Day Sugar Detox.  I tend to rebel when I have too strict of guidelines with my food, so I'm using their rules and tweaking them slightly. October is also a big month for us because it's 5 days from my 1 year anniversary, and I cannot believe it has been a year!! I of course asked for cookbooks (its paper right) and workout gear as my gift. Until my cookbooks arrive, I've been trying out some online recipes.

Here's what I made this weekend:

I tried Balanced Bites Apple Streusel Egg Muffins but I didn't have many eggs so I used 6 eggs instead of her 9. I also spread mine out among 18 muffins so they'd last a little longer. These are sweetened by the apples, no honey or anything added!

I also tried her Carrot Pumpkin Spice muffins and they turned out amazing!! There is no sweetener of any kind in these other than the banana and carrots. She says to shred the carrots, but next time I'd make sure to pulse them in the food processor to make them finer.


and finally my own recipe for gummy snacks


Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened fruit juice
2 tbs gelatin (I use the great lakes grass-fed version, the orange bottle is the solidifying kind. I wouldn't recommend any other brand if you're looking to improve your health.)

Combine ingredients in a saucepan on the stove and heat until well combined. Pour into a jello mold or a Pyrex dish and chill in the fridge. When solid, remove and cute into squares. Store in the fridge. Sometimes I dilute mine with 1/4 cup of aloe juice to make it less sweet and lower in sugar. E complained that it wasn't sweet enough, so the choice is up to you! I used a super fruit juice called MonaVie, but any unsweetened juice would do! I also like pomegranate juice. These make a great post workout snack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment