Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wholesome Mayonnaise

Growing up I used to order a turkey sandwich with fries and a side of mayo. I would dip the sandwich and the fries in the mayo! Yuck! My mom also used to make my bologna and mayo sandwiches on white bread to take to daycare. Little did she know, I would take the bologna out and throw away the bread. As I got to high school, I decided I hated mayo (and bologna which I still refuse to eat). What a strange kid I was! Now I'm back on the pro-mayo team as long as it is wholesome! I also love Ranch dressing and Spicy Mayo, so I needed a healthy option to make. You should see what ingredients they put in the mayo that is on the shelf. And Miracle Whip is even worse.

***Update: The best/easiest way to make this is with an immersion blender, so if you have one skip over to here to see the easy recipe.

What you need:

2 eggs at room temp. (try to buy organic, vegetarian fed. they also offer omega 3 enriched)
4 tbs white or apple cider vinegar (this is a great remedy for acid reflux when diluted, so if your hesitant to buy a whole bottle, go for it! its worth it!)
2 tsp salt or more/less to taste
1 tsp cayenne
1 3/4 cups of olive oil (this was a lot of olive oil, so be prepared. also make sure to buy a very light olive oil or it will overpower everything else)
1 tsp mustard

How to get it done:
Combine all ingredients in a blender except the olive oil. Blend on a low setting until well mixed. I used the dough setting on my Ninja blender with the blade attachment. Slowly trickle in the olive oil while still blending. You don't want any oil to gather at the top while it is mixing. Continue until all the oil is added. The mayo should start to thicken and will be yellow in color. It looks just like yellow custard. Remember to taste test! I started with 2 tbs of vinegar and then added 2 more because I couldn't taste it at first. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It makes 3 cups.



Mayo on the shelf has canola oil which used to have a healthy Omega 6/ Omega 3 ratio, but due to unnatural genetic modifications it is no longer healthy and should be avoided. Most Mayo also contains some form of MSG which I have found causes migraines, headaches, and addiction to food. Msgtruth.org has a whole list of reasons why MSG is detrimental to our health and gives a list of all its secret names.

This recipe is adapted from Sarah Fragoso at Everyday Paleo. She is amazing and you should stop by her blog. I tweaked it a bit to cater to my personal taste, so feel free to do the same with my recipe!

Update: I tried this with white vinegar and liked the taste much better. I also reduced the oil amt. from the original post.

**contains raw eggs: You can pasteurize your eggs (kill any buggers that might be growing in them even though this is a rare occurrence) by letting them come to room temperature and placing them in 145 degree Fahrenheit water. Leave them for 3-5 minutes, remove and let them come back to room temp. You will need to use them that day.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment