Friday, June 7, 2013

Bone Broth

Part of the Paleo diet encourages drinking (or eating) bone broth because it is mineral rich and helps the liver detox your body. You can drink the broth cold or hot depending on your taste, or you could save it to use in a recipe. E requested that I make it for him to drink, so I picked up some grass-fed beef knuckle bones (soup bones) at the Dallas Farmers' Market and set to work.


Printable Recipe

What you need:
4 knuckle bones (it is important to do grass-fed in order to get the most nutrients)
1-2 carrots
2 celery stalks
4 cloves garlic
4 bay leaves
1 red onion
crockpot


How to:
1. Add all the ingredients to a crockpot, the veggies can be cut into large chunks.


2. Cover with filtered water.
3. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Know your crockpot. Mine is funny and when it turns from low to keep warm it still stays pretty hot, so I have to be home to turn it all the way off and stop the cooking process. I put mine immediately into the fridge, so the fat would settle at the top for me to scoop out.
4. I used a slotted spoon to scoop out and trash all the veggies. All of their nutrients are in the broth now, so don't feel wasteful! I did save the meat from the knuckle bones. I cut it up and tossed it into our lo mien stir-fry. Our dogs got a special treat when I gave the bones!



5. Strain the broth into a bowl with a spout. After it is filtered you can pour the broth into some mason jars and save for later use!


This batch made 3 and half large mason jars. I think my jars are 20oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment